The Mathematics Specialist Program at Virginia Tech is designed for in-service teachers in grades K-8. The program is a cohort program made up of 33 hours of coursework focusing on mathematics education leadership and mathematics content specific to grades K-8. The Mathematics Specialist Program leads to a Masters of Education Degree (MAED) or Education Specialist Degree (EdS) in Curriculum and Instruction.
At least 18 of the 33 credits including the Number and Operations course, Mathematics Education Leadership I and II courses, the 6 hours of field experience and at least one other math content course should be from Virginia Tech. The other 15 hours may be from Virginia Tech or from other partner universities as approved by the student's advisor.
The Mathematics Specialist program at Virginia Tech is a cohort program. We accept 25 students into the program. Those interested in applying should complete the graduate admission application provided by the Graduate School: http://graduateschool.vt.edu (indicate that you are interested in the mathematics specialist program). In addition, applicants should submit three letters of recommendation, a letter of support from your principal (click here for form to be used), and a 2-3 page essay describing why you want to be a K-8 mathematics specialist. Applicants may also be asked to complete an interview with mathematics education faculty. Review of applications will begin on March 15, 2017. Applications received by this date will receive full consideration. After this date applications will be reviewed until the program is full.
Virginia public school employees have a reduced tuition rate. Applicants should download the 'Request for Reduced Tuition Rate' form and submit it directly to the Graduate School: http://graduateschool.vt.edu/content/dam/graduateschool_vt_edu/K-12_Reduced_Tuition_Request.pdf
• Three years of successful teaching experience in grades K-8.
• At least 6 hours of undergraduate or graduate mathematics coursework.
Mathematics Courses (15 hours)
• MATH 5984: Number and Operations for K-8 Teachers (3 hours: Prerequisite for other courses)
• MATH 5984: Rational Numbers and Proportional Reasoning for K-8 Teachers (3 hours)
• MATH 5614: Probability and Statistics for K-8 Teachers (3 hours)
• MATH 5614: Geometry and Measurement for K-8 Teachers (3 hours)
• MATH 5614: Algebra and Functions for K-8 Teachers (3 hours)
Mathematics Education Courses (15 hrs)
• EDCI 5774: Mathematics Education Leadership I (3 hours)
• EDCI 5784: Mathematics Education Leadership II (3 hours)
• EDCI 5234: Adv. Curriculum and Instruction in Elem. and Middle School Mathematics (3 hours)
• EDCI 5764: Externship in Education (6 hours)
Research Course (3 hrs)
• EDCI 5784: Research in Assessment and Diagnosis for K-8 Mathematics (3 hours)
Final project to be planned with university advisor.
For more information contact:
Virginia Tech School of Education
300-C War Memorial Hall,
Blacksburg, VA 24061 (0313)